Thursday

A Cooking Tip

Perfect Scoop: Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas, and Sweet AccompanimentsI'VE BEEN EXPERIMENTING with homemade ice cream recipes.

Yesterday, I tried a new coffee ice cream recipe from Perfect Scoop: Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas, and Sweet Accompaniments (my current favourite ice cream cookbook), but I had to throw away the whole batch because the heavy cream that I used had an off-taste.

How could I anticipate that? The expiry date was weeks away.

I didn't realize the problem until I tried to make maple syrup-flavoured whipped cream with the rest of the carton. It tasted awful so I sniffed the carton and eeww!

So here's a bit of advice: don't just check the expiry date – sniff and taste every ingredient before using it!

2 comments:

  1. I was chocked as well that my cream had gone bad one day. First off, the cream was due to expire in 2 weeks. Secondly, because the cream did not taste sour like you'd expect of a dairy product (I am thinking that it should taste like sour milk?). This carton tasted extremely BITTER! Like chemically bitter! I called the manufacturers and complained. They attributed it to the carton having probably been left out for sometime (implying by the retailer). They sent me coupons for $20 worth of their products! Great service...but what's in the cream that makes it bitter? Why did the ingredients for cream have to change to this mixture of chemicals? It still acts as cream and seperates at room temperature when whipped...so why the extras?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your experience. Heaven knows what they're doing to our food. And our governments are letting them!

      Delete